As you know, Instagram OSINT is always changing, and so this page will be updated regularly.
Instagram OSINT Guide
The Instagram OSINT guide is coming soon!
Instagram OSINT Tips
- Most of the time, you’ll be using Google Dorking instead of Instagram’s built in search engine.
- To search only Instagram posts, use
- To search only Instagram profiles, use
site:instagram.com "[first name]" | "[first name] [last name] on"(including quotes
"", but remove the brackets
) in Google.
- More Instagram OSINT tips coming soon.
Instagram OSINT Tools
- IntelTechniques Custom Instagram Tools – I use this frequently, and it’s pretty much the tool I start with (even before Google Dorking). IntelTechniques is created and run by Michael Bazzell who is pretty much the guy when it comes to OSINT and Privacy.
- Google Search – Honestly, Google Dorking indexed Instagram content is probably where most of what I find is.
- More Instagram OSINT tools coming soon.
Case 1: Find user name with real name and possible associate account (such as company they work for or own).
This case can be seen on Reddit. First, their question:
instagram advanced searchPosted by u/historicalrhino
lets say that I am looking for a “John Doe” on instagram who I know has posts related to “johndoeacademy”. Is there a way for me to search instagram with filters so that it only shows me results for John Doe’s who have posts related to johndoeacademy?
I’m a little unsure of some specifics here. Is “johndoeacademy” a hashtag or a username?
If it’s a username, I would use Google Dorking (AKA Google Hacking) to do this.
site:instagram.com/p "@johndoeacademy" & "John on" | "John Smith on" -site:instagram.com/johndoeacademy
site:instagram.com/p tells Google we only want to search for results from Instagram.com/p which is what all posts are under.
"@johndoeacademy" tells Google we only want to search for any pages (posts) by @johndoeacademy, so we need to add
-site:instagram.com/johndoeacademy to remove most (if not all) posts by @johndoeacademy.
Since we’re pulling up any page that mentions @johndoeacademy, we want to add
& "John on" | "John Smith on" which will help limit a lot of the SERs (Search Engine Results) down to Instagram Profiles.
& makes sure we’re including these searches so the SER must have “@johndoeacademy” AND “John on” OR “John Smith on”, with
| representing the OR.
Here’s an example:
site:instagram.com/p "@zuck" & "Harvard on" | "Harvard University on" -site:instagram.com/zuck
Drop that in Google and see what you get. We’ll get 3 SERs:
- Two posts from Harvard University’s Instagram account mentioning @zuck, and then
- One from Edwardo Saverin mentioning both @zuck and Harvard University in the same post.
You can see it prioritized the Harvard ones over the Saverin one because of what we specified we were searching for.
+Instagram "@zuck" & "Harvard on" | "Harvard University on" -site:instagram.com/zuck
+instagram.com/p "@zuck" & "Harvard on" | "Harvard University on" -site:instagram.com/zuck